Wisbech Town Council have been looking at plans to refresh, rejuvenate and renew Wisbech Market Place for the last six months. This is our vision:
- The first problem we wanted to resolve was that of poor or illegal parking. We propose to pedestrianise the majority of the Market Place using beautiful wrought metal gates to bar entry completely between10am and 4pm, however these times will be addressed as part of the consultation. Cars will be completely removed from the Market Place, including those of Market Traders (who will benefit from arranged parking elsewhere.) This will make the Market Place safer and look much more attractive. Although the High Street / Hill Street route will not be part of the pedestrianisation, it will feature bollards to prevent pavement and poor parking and the only parking allowed there will be disabled parking. There will be no reduction of the number of bays available for disabled use.
- We wanted to introduce an open, light and enjoyable atmosphere to the area and we propose to do this in a number of ways: generous planters positioned around the market surrounding stylised seating, delightful water features and a redesign of the layout to give an airy and continental feel that can be enjoyed by shoppers and pedestrians.
- We will also add a Tidal Clock, as a nod to our town's historic nautical links and to the plans of designers years ago. This will be an attractive feature.
- At one end of the Market Place we hope to introduce a small Children's Play Area, nothing too grand, but fun for the youngsters and a chance for a break for busy parents with children in tow.
- The statement piece of our proposed redesign is a high canopy which will cover nearly half of the Market Place. This will created a covered market where stall holders can trade without concern for bad weather, more comfortable and convenient for shoppers using their services.
The overall effect should be a car-free safe area, with a covered market and brightened by lush greenery, water features, a tidal clock and elegant seating. We hope it will look lovely.
This proposal has been the result of public consultation followed by a hard working task group of Councillors and members of the public. It has the support of the Wisbech Society, the Chamber of Commerce and the trustees of the Wisbech Museum.
Tha attached concepts (kindly provided by Peter Humphreys Associates) are now out for public consultation. We would welcome input and suggestions. You can make coments here, but there will be opportunities to meet and talk to councillors about the proposals - dates will be advertised.
- Market Place refurbishment image 1 (PDF, 1 Mb)
Draft proposals illustrated by Peter Humphrey Associates image 1
- Market Place refurbishment image 2 (PDF, 4 Mb)
Draft proposals illustrated by Peter Humphrey Associates image 2
- Market Place refurbishment image 3 (PDF, 1.2 Mb)
Draft proposals illustrated by Peter Humphrey Associates image 3
- Market Place refurbishment image 4 (PDF, 1.3 Mb)
Draft proposals illustrated by Peter Humphrey Associates image 4
MARKET PLACE REFURBISHMENT
Town centre improvements consultation 2018 CLOSING DATE FOR COMMENTS 30 APRIL 2018
If you wish to give a more detailed response you can write to:
Wisbech Town Council Market Place Consultation 2018
1 North Brink
Wisbech PE13 1JR
CLOSING DATE FOR COMMENTS 30 APRIL 2018